
(View from Bacharach ruins)
Bacharach is located along the Rhine and was the last town we stayed in. It's one of many very very small towns that are only a few minutes drive from each other along the river. Each had it's own castle and was completely adorable.
In Bacharach we visited some ruins on a hill overlooking the town. There were just a few towers left of what used to be a small castle. (at least I think it was a castle... could have been some kind of religious building too) The red window is a Jewish memorial:




The Rhine floods for about two weeks every year and covers the major freeway in front of all the towns. It was really interesting to me to see how high the water reached. The city wall has markers that measured how high the water reached during certain years.


On the second day we took a river cruise to the town of St. Goar where we saw the ruins of Rheinfels Castle, the largest castle ruins along the Rhine.




I totally stayed there, too! Such a neat, fun place! I love that you are sharing bits of your adventure in Europe:) Miss you!
ReplyDeleteI love that area and you captured it well in your pictures. I'm excited to see more.
ReplyDeleteCool-i-o! Gorgeous pictures.
ReplyDelete