
On the fourth day of the trip we went to Linderhof Castle, which was modeled after Versailles. It was the only castle finished by Ludwig II when he was king of Bavaria during the latter half of the 19th century. Ludwig was kind of obsessed with Louis XIV. He had portraits and busts of Louis and his mistresses throughout the palace and he didn't really even know him. I think they might have met once (maybe just a little bit creepy). Ludwig was completely eccentric. When he lived in this castle he would always dine alone and because he didn't want anyone in the room while he was eating he had his table placed on a platform, which could be lowered into the floor. The servants would place the food on the table and then raise it back up to the king. Crazy? Yes. The inside was gorgeous, however. The castle has its own "hall of mirrors" too, which was completely amazing, but you were only allowed to take photos outside of the castle.
From the gardens:




I love the look of this place. Might have something to do with my penchant for Versailles...but not in a creepy way!
ReplyDeleteWhenever someone says I can't take a photo, I usually interpret it as a challenge.
ReplyDeleteThat's why I have a photo of Trace when he was in court!
(I try not to let the man keep me down.)